Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spannocchia - Day 4



The forecast was for rain so I played hookie and took a cooking class. We began by taking a tour of the vegetable gardens conducted by Carmen, the head gardener. I could write a whole blog just on the gardens.



She has a system in place for rotating crops that is phenomenal because even if it is written down some where, it is obvious that it is all in her head. She knows all the vegetables” growing traits and tendencies as if they were her own children. If that were not enough she has the growing synchronized with the kitchen cuisine and vice versa.




It was great fun watching our chef Loredona maneuver in the kitchen with such a natural ease. We started off by making dessert first – chocolate salame - looks like salami but made with chocolate and crushed cookies. Then we prepared baked squash with rosemary. The meat course was saltimbocca made with veal, goat cheese, sage and garlic. For the pasta dish we made gnocchi. I learned that the secret is to peel the potatoes while hot – do not let them cool- and rice them and knead them very little. I finally learned how to roll the gnocchis off the end of the fork to create ridges in them to hold the sauce. They were served with a basic tomato sauce. We also put together a pear and gorgonzola crostini for an appetizer. Of course we got to eat the fruits of our labor! Delicious!



Surprisingly enough, the sun came out after class and I went out and did two little paintings (5” by 7”). This one was done so quickly because I was so cold. The building cast a shadow on me and the temperature dropped.
By the way, the easel I chose to take is a lightweight Openbox M pochade box that takes up to 8” by 10”. I also bought the wet canvas carry case. I pop both things in my backpack along with my easel, paints and gamsol and I am off. I highly recommend it. I have been using an alkyd walnut oil painting medium to speed the drying time. It leaves a gloss finish but I like it and it is non-toxic.

No comments: